If there’s one lean protein that’s great for any occasion, it’s chicken. Make the most of our Fresh to Market Chicken with these pro tips from our expert team!
If there’s one lean protein that’s great for any occasion, it’s chicken. Make the most of this amazing meat with these pro tips from our expert team!
Choosing Your Chicken: While you have a lot of options at the meat counter, we recommend our Fresh to Market Chicken, which is cage free and vegetarian fed with no antibiotics ever. It’s also hand-trimmed and pure air-chilled, a process that helps the meat stay fresh, tender and more flavorful without any added water weight. Talk about a win, win!
Whole in One: Did you know buying the whole chicken is both economical and versatile? Typically less expensive per pound, a whole chicken opens up a world of possibilities when it comes to recipes with both white and dark meat to suit everyone’s tastes. You can also get it spatchcocked (flattened for faster cooking) or seasoned by our meat department for extra easy grilling—all you have to do is ask!
Marvelous Marinades: Give your grilled chicken, beef or veggies some extra flavor with our Kitchen’s chef-prepared marinades. Both bright and sweet, our Thai Sesame Dressing is bold, complex and perfect with steamed rice and grilled veggies. For some zesty, Moroccan flair, try using our Green Harissa which boasts just enough spice to make your taste buds sing. You can also look for pre-marinated proteins in our Meat department!
Go for the Grill:
- To avoid flareups, remove excess fat and avoid marinades with too much oil.
- High-sugar marinades will tend to burn if the heat is too high.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure white meat doesn’t dry out by overcooking. The safe internal temperature for chicken is 165°F.
- Dark meat is more forgiving and becomes more tender with higher internal temperature.
- For crispy skin, start grilling skin-side down over direct heat until browned. When fat begins to render, move to medium, indirect heat for most of the cooking time.
Meat & Greet: Drop by our Meat department for your Fresh to Market Chicken, and get to know your local butcher team while you're there! From custom cuts and signature seasonings to special orders, recipe ideas and more, our expert butchers are always happy to help.
Selection may vary by store.