- Prep time
- 25 minutes PT25M
- Cook time
- 30–40 minutes PT40M
- 4 servings
Absolutely packed with veggies, this plant-based soup satisfies with its rich umami flavor. Kick up the heat with extra chili flakes if desired.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 piece lemongrass, crushed and cut into 3–4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons ginger, julienned
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 onion, julienned
- 2 carrots, medium diced
- 2 ounces mirin
- 2 ounces rice wine vinegar
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup green lentils, sorted for stones and rinsed
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 scallions, bias cut, for garnish
Heat the vegetable oil in an 8-quart sauce pot on medium heat. Add the lemongrass, ginger and garlic, and sauté until wilted and aromatic. Add the shiitake mushrooms, onions and carrots, and sauté for 1–2 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Add the mirin and rice wine vinegar and reduce to a light syrup. Add the vegetable stock and lentils and bring to a simmer. Let cook on low for 20–30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
Remove lemongrass, fold in the cabbage and season with salt and chili flakes. Simmer for 2 minutes and serve garnished with scallions.