- Prep time
- 15 minutes
- Cook time
- 30 minutes
- 6-8 servings
Serve up a stuffing everyone can enjoy with this delicious gluten-free and dairy-free option!
- 3 cups gluten-free bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 1 head fennel, small diced
- 3 cloves garlic, small diced
- 1 stalk celery, small diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and small diced
- 2 cups stock, chicken or vegetable (adjust according to dryness of bread cubes)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced (or 1 teaspoons dry sage)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Place bread cubes in an even layer on a cookie sheet and bake until completely dried out, 10-20 minutes depending on the bread. When dried, place in a large mixing bowl. Raise oven temperature to 350°F.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil then onion, fennel, garlic and celery; cook for 10 minutes or until tender and translucent. Add apple, season with salt, pepper and sage and cook 5 more minutes. Add stock and bring to a simmer.
Add stock/vegetable mixture to the bowl of bread cubes and gently mix. If the stuffing is a little dry, add more stock until all of the bread cubes are slightly moistened (too much stock will turn the dish to mush).
Place in an oiled baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and hot throughout.